Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Beginning

Ok, so I have been lurking and reading blogs for awhile now, and have finally decided to take the plunge! I am going to blog! This is very exciting for me!



I guess I am going to credit this to Canadian Crafter. I have read the entire blog and really enjoyed it, so I decided why not.



To start, I'll tell you what I did today, I canned, and canned and canned! First thing I did was put up the "It counts as a vegetable relish" This is a wonderful concoction of cabbage, cucumbers, onions, green tomatoes, green and red peppers! I have three teenage boys who believe "vegetables" is a dirty word, and they will slurp this down like they won't get to eat again! The sad part is that you start out with a ten gallon crock 60 per cent full, and end up with only 12 quarts!

The next thing I did was my pickled beets! Yum, I tried two different recipes this year and cannot wait to eat them. After I cleaned up the burgundy coloured counter, burgundy coloured cabinets, burgundy coloured floors, etc, I started on the dreaded mustard bean pickles! Way messier than the beets. Mustard pickles remind me of my grandmother in Nova Scotia, she used to make a baked ham, baked beans and serve them with mustard beans and home made brown bread with real butter! OMG, I think I just gained ten pounds thinking about it!

After cleaning the yellow counters, yellow cabinets, (you get the idea, lol) I moved on to sweet pickle relish! I can eat this just with a spoon! Who needs the hot dog? Thankfully, this is not nearly as messy as my earlier projects.

Then I finally made it to the pickled beans and pickled carrots! This year I got smart, I filled my french fry maker, you know the gadget that cuts potatoes into fry shapes, with carrots instead of cutting all those carrots into sticks! Much easier, now I just have to wait six weeks for them to be ready.

This was a lot of work, but in the middle of winter when we open up one of those jars and are able to enjoy our harvest, it will all be worth it!

1 comment:

KansasA said...

Thanks for the lemon spread recipe you left at my blog! I will definitely have to try it.
Your blog sounds like it will be very interesting with three teenage boys, your canning, and aboriginal posts I know I'll be reading it! I'm adding you to my Google Reader for sure! Welcome to the blog world :)